Friday, November 13, 2009

Rockin' 47 Out Loud


OMG! Fess up...who heard me scream when this cake arrived in my kitchen Friday evening?

Earlier in the week Garry had asked me what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday. I told him Buehler's of course. Then I said, "Does Buehler's put pictures on cakes?" He said, "Yes. Why? Do you want a D'Onofrio cake?" Poor man...he still can't get it through his head that the D'Onofrio thing is over. Honestly, I can't either...but I digress...as usual. I scanned a couple of my favorite CD covers and sent him on his way.

I have to admit, I had mixed feelings about it. Yes, I wanted it to be amazingly cool...but I was also secretly wishing it would be wrecktastic. Not familiar with Cake Wrecks? Ohhh...you are in for a treat! Go...look...be appalled...laugh yourself senseless!

I was, however, more than pleasantly surprised...enough to let out at least a dozen or so happy little squeals and then take about 314 pictures of it.

Yes, my birthday was on Friday the 13th. No it doesn't bother me...I look forward to it falling on Friday the 13th. Does this really surprise any of you? ; ) I woke up in such a happy mood. "Landing In London" was playing in my head...the sun was shining...Hope told me that I smell extra good in the mornings...both girls sang Happy Birthday to me...the three of us belted out a mean version of "Don't Stop Believin'" while we were waiting for the bus...I was overwhelmed by the outpouring of love from my Facebook friends...I got cards! I got presents! I got CAKE!!!!! And not just any cake...a 3 Doors Down cake!

That's right y'all...it's 1...2...3 Doors Down! And lest you forget? Friday night is also Mama's Escape From Reality when I hit the whirlpool tub for a couple of hours. Guess what I ate IN the tub, while I soaked in my black raspberry vanilla bubble bath and listened to my 3 Doors Down CD's? Yep...birthday cake. I think it's the only way I'm going to eat cake from now on. ; )


This tiny Willow Tree box was one of the gifts I received from Garry and the girls. It's titled, "An Embrace of Comfort and Love". That would be me holding my precious Garth on the cover. I've placed his collar, his belled mousie, and his string toy inside. Garth has been gone...wow...has it been five years already? It is amazing to me how there are days when I still miss him so much it hurts. Ok...enough tears...

Hey! Look at THAT would ya! Remember this post? Way back in June I started asking for a new MP3 player for my birthday...green of course. Oh I looooooove this sweet little beauty! She holds almost 200 times more music than what my old coal fired model did. Yes I said TWO HUNDRED times more. Plus she's got more bells and whistles than I know what to do with. I'm starting to get tingly all over just thinking about it.

So yes folks, I had a very good birthday. It's odd...I know...Mel/odd...nothing new. It's interesting...how's that? All through my life I've had different ages that I've looked forward to as holding something extraordinary about them. 27, 30, 33, 41, 47...and that's where it ended. Right off the top of my head? 27; I started my love affair with writing. 30; from what I remember I had one of the best birthdays I've ever had and ended up having one of the best pictures ever taken of me. Yes, I find that monumental...probably because I was by myself and not snuggled up to someone dressed like a very large Disney character...or SpiderMan. Oh...I digressed again...didn't I? 33; the year I gave myself permission to quit teaching. 41; I became a Mama. 47? Well folks, I have no idea. But I do know this is going to be MY year. I am going to rock 47 OUT LOUD.

Oh, and since 47 was the last age I had on my list? I've added another one. 60. Inspired by, of course, Rick Springfield...I look forward to kickin' 60 in the ass.

Nothin' but love for y'all,

4 comments:

Carolina said...

OOOOOHHHHH MEL!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY (a bit late, but who cares? You?) And many many happy returns. I hope you have a fantastic year dear ;-) Great cake and presents.

(small confession: I wouldn't have a clue how to get music on (onto?) an MP3 player)

Mel said...

Thank you! You know...my friend Sherri told me that once we hit 40? Our celebration lasts for 7 days...so you're well within that! :)

Getting music onto your MP3 player is just like getting pictures off your camera onto your computer. You just transfer the files from your computer to your MP3 player.

Thanks again girlfriend...hey, how are YOU feeling? Better I hope? Hugs!

jay said...

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like you had a GREAT one! I have to tell you that on the whole, I think I've had more fun since I turned 40 than I ever did before. I think there's a clue in something you said:

'I gave myself permission to ... '

Having given myself permission to just be me, I'm a whole lot happier. Sounds as if you got there early. ;)

Mel said...

jay! I was just thinking about you! I heard on the radio this morning that Mr. Depp was named People's Sexiest Man...again. I'm glad we've both given ourselves permission to be who we are...at whatever age. I need to drop by and see what's new at The Depp Effect. Hugs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails